Hardwood Flooring San Diego
10 TIPS FOR CHOOSING AND INSTALLING THE BEST HARDWOOD FLOORS
Here are some tips to ensure that you get the best hardwood floors.
1. CHOOSE THE RIGHT WOODEN FLOOR SPECIES & COLOR
There are many types, finishes, colors, and species of hardwood floorings. You should choose the one that best matches your space and provides balance.
You can choose between engineered or solid hardwood floors, depending on your budget and needs. Before you choose a wood floor, consider the following: furniture styles, colors, wall color palettes, and room themes. Before you buy any wood floor, it is important to determine the style you desire for your room.
2. ACCLIMATIZE YOUR FLOOR OF WOODEN
Acclimatization is the process of allowing your hardwoods to adapt to your home and surroundings. After your hardwood arrives at your home or workplace, you should leave it there for a few days to allow it to adapt to the environment.
Hardwood is a natural product and will contract or expand depending on your climate and humidity. This will give your hardwood a new look and size.
After installation, your hardwood can be acclimatized to reduce damage such as swelling, warping, and gap formation. These steps will help you to properly acclimate your hardwood.
- Do not wait to have your hardwood delivered before you start the installation process.
- It is best to allow solid hardwood floors to acclimate for at least seven days before installing them.
- Before installing engineered wood floors, allow them to acclimate for at least 72 hours.
- Avoid heating your hardwood floors with a radiator or heater.
- Before you have the wood floors installed, make sure that the room is dry. To avoid expansion, it should not be left on damp floors or against wet walls.
- Allow the hardwood floors to adjust in the new room while they are still in their original packaging.
3. REFER THE BEST PROFESSIONALS
It is important to hire the right hardwood flooring installer in order to get the best results. These are the key questions to ask before you hire a company to do Hardwood Floor Refinishing or installation in San Diego.
- They will keep you informed about their progress and give concrete deadlines.
- They will be able to explain the process and the installation steps and provide a price breakdown or rate chart.
- They will need to visit your area to measure and plan the route of action.
- They will offer you the best solutions, and they will fit within your budget.
- Do they need to take out the furniture and other items before installing?
- Are they going to remove any flooring or sublayers?
- Do they need to clean up the area before starting the installation?
- Do they offer to transport the furniture you have removed after the installation is complete?
- They will offer after-sales services and cost-effective solutions.
To make the best decision when searching for hardwood floor installers, you should ask these questions. It is important to ensure that the installer you choose is experienced and can take on all the responsibilities of such a large project.
4. Use ONLY HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS
You can ensure strong, durable, and long-lasting hardwood flooring in your home by choosing high-quality materials. Wood floors that are durable for many decades will increase your property's value.
While you may choose to go with cheaper options, make sure that you get great value for your money. You will save money in the long term if you don't compromise on the quality of the materials.
5. REMOVE FURNITURE and OTHER ELEMENTS
Before installing hardwood floors, clean the entire area. An experienced company in Hardwood Flooring San Diego can always remove any furniture or other items, and then clean the entire area.
You can also hire a professional to clean your rooms if they do not offer it. To protect your home, seal all doors and windows.
6. PREPARATE YOUR SUBFLOORS PRIOR TO INSTALLATION
For better durability and finishing, your hardwood floors should be installed on a sublayer. You must ensure that your underlying layers are properly installed. Professional hardwood flooring companies will take good care of your sublayers and spend more time and effort to create a solid foundation.
Before you begin the hardwood installation process, make sure your sublayer is clean and dry. To ensure that your sublayer is flat and level, you can use a spirit level. You can also use a Moisture Meter before installing your sublayers to verify their moisture levels.
Only proceed with the installation if your MC (Moisture Content), is below 6% for concrete subfloors and wooden subfloors, or 16% or less for wooden subfloors. Allow your sublayer to dry naturally for a long time before you proceed with the installation.
7. CHOOSE YOUR INSTALLATION METHOD
There are three main methods of installing hardwood floors: -
- Nail-down method: This is the most economical method. It's usually used with solid hardwood floors.
- Glue-down method: This is an excellent choice for installing hardwood floors on concrete floors. It doesn't require any additional vapor barriers, and it can be easily incorporated into any budget.
- Click-lock installation: This is the most popular choice for those who enjoy DIY hardwood floors.
Talk to your hardwood floor contractor about the best method for you depending on the wood type and species.
8. ASSISTANCE INSTALLATION DIRECTION
Your needs and preferences will determine the direction that your hardwood floor should be placed. You can determine the direction by first comparing it to the elements in your room.
If you're unable to make a decision, just follow the light coming into the room through a window or door. This method will bring positive energy into your home and is the preferred choice of most homeowners.
9. DON'T FORGET THE FINISHING TOUCHES
You may need to finish touches after installing flooring accessories. You may require additional planks or skirting boards, door bars, skirting boards or ramps to fill in the expansion gaps. This will allow for hardwood floor expansion and contractions as the temperature and humidity change.
You will also need to finish unfinished hardwood floors for a classy and durable look.
10. RENEWAL: CLEAN AND MAINTAIN WOOD FLOORS PERIOD
To ensure that your hardwood floors last for many decades, it is important to properly maintain them after they are installed. Simple actions such as mopping, swapping, and using cleaning sprays are all required to clean your hardwood floors daily. You should immediately wipe up any liquids or food spillages.
Protect your floors from scratches by applying buffers or pads to the bottom of heavy furniture.
San Diego Flooring
5447 Imperial Avenue San Diego CA 92114
(619) 658 2810